June 2022

Irises

June 2022

This page is devoted to all the blooms I have had around this time of this year. To be expected: Iris, alliums, Choisya, salvias, dahlias...

Weather-wise, this has been a very disappointing year so far: Mostly cold mornings and there hasn't been enough heat in the air to harvest any courgettes, and to top it all, I have been ill - stinking cold which plagued with a runny nose. Today has been a bit nicer to me, on the mend, but not 100% OK!

Spotty Dotty

I stumbled upon a video narrated by probably an Eastern European living in Kent and I saw these stunning, unique, weird but fantastic looking maroon, dark red ribbons UNDERNEATH its huge spotty leaves. I was immediately smitten. "I MUST HAVE IT." I declared to myself. A trip to Greenbrook Garden Centre, a most beautiful gc in Chelmsford, answered my PRAYER. I sorted of floating towards the till and paid for it and went home extremely happy. I planted it in the only shady place in my whole garden and hoped for the best. Then, I was haunted by a terrible scenario: What if the flower is white? Shock horror! This torment continued for months as from the forming of buds to the revealing of petals took months. Even now, the first bloom is NOT fully open.

The leaves are reminiscent of toad skin. Quite unsightedly!

Spotty Dotty in its full splendour!

What's so unique about the flowers is that they are totally hidden underneath the big spotty leaves. To appreciate their beauty, you have to lift up the leaves to reveal their sultry dark red or burgundy ribbon-like petals. It's a SECRET! Quite fascinating and unique!

Dahlia

I have so far 2 dahlias in flower. One has dark leaves

Honka Fragile

I have had quite a few Honkas and they are all beautiful. Fragile is no exception. Look how tidy and neat the whole flower is and it's red/pink picoteed at the base! Very charming and it seems to be bigger too!

Allium Ambassador

I love 2 alliums - Allium Purple Sensation and Allium Ambassador. The latter keeps the shape for a long time - big sphere, totally round, compact and stands proud.

you just can't fault it. Neat, compact, Perfect and impressive!

Irises

These are all iris Sibiricas. One is Blue King Silver picoteed. The sunshine has brought out their beauty!

Peonies

Most of the peonies have gone over, but this one is having a good time showing off!

Bowl of Beauties has clumped up very nicely!

Delphiniums

Two big clumps of delphiniums and the bees are so happy because of their colours

Cirsium Atropurpureum

You know why there were so many cirsium atropurpureums in Chelsea Flower Show? In season and top bee-pollinator!

Alstroemeria

According to the packet label, this clump should be Red Lion. After looking at other names, I have the feeling that these could be Orange King! These have been flowering for a whole month!

Salvias

Salvias are a must for hot and droughty areas such as East London. They are perennials or deciduous tender pereenials, but they are easy to overwinter here. Dry mulch and a cloche will the do the job nicely. Hot Lips flowered straight away, followed by my trusted Neon which boasts of big flower, rich homogeneous colour. Then I have Mirage Soft Pink, Amethyst Lips, Night Moth, Blue Note, Purple Queen and Greggii Violet and a striking yellow one.

Astrantia

Penstemons

Penstemons are another must-have as they overwinter very well here. They clump up readily and flower their socks off for months on end. The first to flower was Howells Pink, and then Electric Blue and Sour Grapes M Fisher.

Choisya

Love this plant as the colours are so different and the bush has been smothered with these beautiful flowers, next to my Howells Pink and Mirage Soft Pink. I just can't get enough of pink!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearded Irises

Helleborus